Most Useful and Most Practical Travel Tips in Japan

Entry to Japan


When you decide to go to Japan on a trip or business trip, you need to prepare documents.

What documents are required for foreigners to enter Japan?

Required documents for foreigners entering Japan vary depending on your country.
In general, the following documents are required


Passport: Be sure to bring your passport to ensure that it has not expired.
Visa: If the country you are entering requires a visa, please apply for and obtain one in advance.

Entry card to Japan
Entry card to Japan
Entry card to Japan backside
Entry card to Japan backside

Visa Waiver Countries

Visa Waiver Countries are countries that allow foreigners who meet certain conditions to enter the country for travel, business, or tourism within a certain period of time without obtaining a visa (visa).

In Japan, citizens of the following countries and regions are exempt from visa requirements.

Short-term stays of 90 days or less:
Iceland, Ireland, Andorra, United Kingdom, Israel, Italy, Estonia, Austria, Australia, Canada, Korea, Croatia, Greece, Cyprus, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Croatia, Guam, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Qatar, Guinea, Christmas Island, Greenland, Cook Islands, Grenada, Saipan, Samoa, Zambia, Singapore, Djibouti, Georgia, Zimbabwe, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, Seychelles, Senegal, Republic of Korea, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Republic of Korea, Tajikistan, Czech Republic, Central Africa, China, Tunisia, Tuvalu, Denmark, Germany, Turkmenistan, Dominica, Turkey, Tonga, Nigeria, Nauru, Niue, New Zealand, Norway, Hungary, Vanuatu, Bahamas, Barbados, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Bahrain, Hawaii, Hungary, Timor-Leste, Fiji, Philippines, Finland, Brazil, Bulgaria, Brunei, Vietnam, Belarus, Belgium, Peru, Poland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Portugal, Marshall Islands, Macau, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Malta, Malaysia, Micronesia, South Africa, Mauritius, Maldives, Morocco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar

Even for visa waiver countries, documents related to the purpose of travel: Documents required differ depending on the purpose of travel, such as tourism, business, study, etc. For example, in the case of business purposes, an invitation letter or a letter of invitation is required. For example, a letter of invitation or commercial documents may be required for business purposes.

Airline ticket or itinerary:

Airline ticket or itinerary: You may be required to present this to the immigration inspector.

Health certificates:

Health certificates: may be required by the country you are entering. Recently, some countries require a COVID-19 PCR test certificate.
It is important to inquire about these documents at the embassy or consulate of the country you are entering, or check before entering the country. It is also important to prepare the necessary documents in advance to ensure smooth entry procedures.


Before May 8, 2023

You are required to show a valid vaccination certificate or inspection certificate before boarding.
Please note that those who cannot present either a valid vaccination certificate or inspection certificate will, in principle, not be allowed to land in Japan and will be denied boarding an airplane in the country of departure, in accordance with the Quarantine Law.
Persons with symptoms of suspected infection with the new type of coronavirus will be inspected upon entry into Japan. If the test result is positive, you will be required to follow the instructions of the quarantine station chief and receive medical treatment at an accommodation facility, etc. designated by the quarantine station chief.

After May 8, 2023

Those who enter Japan on or after May 8, 2023, when the status of new-type coronavirus infection is changed to a Category 5 infectious disease under the Infectious Disease Control Law, will not be required to present a valid vaccination certificate or pre-departure inspection certificate. However, if a new infectious disease outbreak occurs overseas, quarantine measures upon entry into Japan may be strengthened as necessary.

Foreigners’ Entry Record and Re-Entry Departure Record (ED Card).

There are certain items that must be prepared when entering Japan.
It is called the Foreigners’ Entry Record and Re-Entry Departure Record (ED Card).
There are two ways to submit this document: paper form or electronic display for verification.

This section explains about the paper Entry and Re-Entry Entry/Departure Records (ED Card) for Foreign Nationals.

This document will be handed out by the cabin attendant on board the plane or ship to Japan together with the customs declaration documents.

Foreigner Entry Record Forms in the following languages are available.
Please note that the format of the Entry Record for Foreigners and the Re-Entry and Exit Record for Foreigners (ED Card) has changed since March 15, 2022, so please be careful if you have the old document.
Please be careful if you have old documents.

Simplified Chinese)
Traditional Chinese)

Just fill out the form and you are good to go.

Electronic Entry Record for Foreigners

Visit Japan Web allows you to submit your alien entry record electronically instead of submitting a paper ED card.

visit Japan web service login page
visit Japan web service login page
  • English
  • Indonesian
  • Korean
  • Nepali
  • Simplified Chinese)
  • Thai
  • Traditional Chinese)
  • Russian
  • Vietnamese

This online service is good for Immigration, Quarantine and Customs procedures. So, it would be much easier for you to use this service.

However, there are restrictions on available airfields.
The language displayed on the application can only be entered in the following languages at this time.

For smooth immigration clearance, it is better to input the required information in advance before you go through immigration clearance.

  • Japanese
  • English
  • Chinese (Traditional)
  • Chinese (Simplified)
  • Korean (Traditional)

VISIT JAPAN WEB Service is only for those who enter Japan from the following airfields.
If you are entering by passenger ship or from an airfield outside the list below, you will need to fill out a paper Entry Record for Foreigners and Re-Entry Departure Record for Re-Entry.

◆Available Airports

  • New Chitose Airport
  • Narita Airport
  • Haneda Airport
  • Chubu Airport
  • Kansai Airport
  • Fukuoka Airport
  • Naha Airport


Japan has started to use IT for foreign person entry. It would help the visitors to enter Japan smoothly.